Matthew Habershon, architect, was born into a family that came from Rotherham, Yorkshire. Habershon became interested in 16th and 17th-century timber-framed houses, and in 1836 published The Ancient Half-Timbered Houses of England. He built several half-timbered houses himself, including a farmhouse at Hadzor, near Droitwich (circa 1830), The Grange, Seacroft, near Leeds (1834), and Aston Sandford rectory, Buckinghamshire (1836–7).
Habershon also wrote many theological works, including A Dissertation on the Prophetic Scriptures (1834) and An Historical Exposition of the Prophecies of the Revelation of St. John (1841). He died on 5 July 1852 at Bonner's Hall, Victoria Park, London, and was buried in Abney Park cemetery.