William Mossman, architect and monumental sculptor, was born in Linton, Peebleshire on 18th August 1793.
He lived and trained as a carver in London for Sir Francis Chantrey before moving to Edinburgh in 1823. By 1827 Mossman had established himself as a sculptor and marble cutter. In 1830 he moved his family to Glasgow to become manager of D & J Hamilton.
In 1833 he started his own business as a monumental sculptor. During this period he carved several details on the buildings of David Hamilton such as the lion's masks on St Paul's church, John Street, Glasgow. In 1849 Mossman carved the corbel heads on the new west front of Glasgow Cathedral.
He also created death masks, chimney pieces for steam boats, as well as portrait busts, the most famous of which was that of James Cleland in 1831.
When the Necropolis opened in 1849 Mossman gained much success as a monumental sculptor. His work was assured and distinguished.
He died in 1851 and was buried at Sighthill Cemetery