Castle Hall 713

Milford Haven, Wales

Brief Description

The early-19th-century gardens include two substantial terraces associated with the house. There are fine entrances at the approach and elsewhere, a grotto and a lake.

History

An estate map of 1769 shows an established formal garden to the west of the house.

Features
  • Residential Building (featured building)
  • Description: The present house was built by the Ministry of Defence as Officers' Quarters. It is two storeys, and built of brick.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: The stable block has been much altered, but probably dates originally from the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Arch
  • Description: Series of four arches.
  • Icehouse
  • Description: Two arches were converted for use as an icehouse.
  • Glasshouse
  • Description: Series of glasshouses.
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Series of terraces.
Grotto, Lake
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Milford Haven
History

Detailed History

The formal gardens existed by 1769, falling west towards a pool and the shore. The site belonged to John Holwell, a surgeon with the East India Company. There is a former raised drive, now supporting a later terrace, which was constructed in about 1780.

The early-19th-century gardens include two substantial terraces associated with the house. There are fine entrances at the approach and elsewhere, a grotto and a lake. There is also further terracing with a range of glass and an enigmatic garden structure formerly referred to as a 'pinery'. The house was rebuilt between 1855 and 1857 to the designs of W.H. Lindsay, and was demolished in 1939.

Associated People
Contact
References

References