Coppett's Wood was once part of an extensive area of woodland owned by the Bishop of London, which later became known as Finchley Common. Coppett's Wood Conservationists were formed in 1983 and in 1997 the site was designated a Local Nature Reserve.
The name comes from 'Coppits Farm', created when an area of woodland was cleared in the C16th. The common was enclosed in 1811. In the C19th, as the area was developing, a sewage works was constructed next to Coppett's Wood on the area now called Scrublands. In 1900 the local council had purchased the wood, installing a sludge digester there. The wood was used for military training and gas mask testing in WWII. The sewage works closed in 1963 and the sludge digester was demolished in 1988.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsBus: 43, 43X, 134, 221, 234
London Parks and Gardens Trust