Court Colman 948

Pen-y-fai, Wales

Brief Description

Court Colman has a small mid-19th-century park and an eclectic garden typical of the period. There is conifer and rhododendron planting, an informal woodland area with an artificial waterfall, ferns and bamboos, and some formal features including Italian marble ornaments. At the time of writing in 2011 Court Colman is a hotel and conference centre.

History

The site belonged to Margam Abbey in the medieval period. There may also have been a Tudor building. The estate was developed after 1837 by the Llewellyn family, and has been a hotel since 1981.

Features
  • Hotel (featured building)
  • Description: A previous house may have been incorporated into the 19th-century building.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: Conifer and rhododendron planting, and an informal woodland area.
Waterfall
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Newcastle Higher
History

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
Contact
References

References