Dove Cottage was the home of the poet William Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy from 1799 to 1808. The house, garden and orchard were written about and added to by them. Dove Cottage is now a museum detailing the life of William Wordsworth and his work. The gardens have been restored back to the designs of William and Dorothy during the late-18th and early-19th century.
Dove Cottage was the home of William Wordsworth and his sister between 1799 and 1808. In 1890 the cottage was brought by the Wordsworth trust and converted into a museum.
Visitor Facilitieshttp://www.wordsworth.org.uk/information/index.asp?pageid=151 More information
- House (featured building)
- Description: The house, first recorded in 1617, was an inn until 1793. It was occupied by William Wordsworth between 1799 and 1808.
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailshttp://www.wordsworth.org.uk/information/index.asp?pageid=151
Dove Cottage is first recorded in 1617 and was an inn until 1793.
In 1799, following a tour of the Lake District, the poet William Wordsworth decided to rent the property with his sister Dorothy. They lived at the house until 1808 and redesigned the garden.
During the 19th century the house had various tenants until the Wordsworth Trust, formed by the Reverend Stopford Brooke, brought the property in 1890. The Trust opened the house as a museum in 1891. During the course of the Trust's ownership they have reconstructed the garden to the design of William and Dorothy Wordsworth. Samples of poetry written during their occupancy and Dorothy's diaries have assisted in this.
- Late 18th Century
- Associated People