Erddig 1263

Wrexham, Wales

Brief Description

The park at Erddig Hall was landscaped in the late-18th century by William Emes, who removed formal elements of the early-18th-century park. It contains an unusual water feature and some surviving tree planting of the period. The grand formal garden dates from the early-18th century and was designed in the Dutch style around an ornamental canal. Its main features survive unaltered, and have been well restored.

History

The original house was designed for Joshua Edisbury and finished in 1687. The property was sold to John Mellor in the early-18th century and passed to his nephew, Philip Yorke. It remained in the hands of the Yorke family until they gave it to the National Trust in 1973. The National Trust restored the gardens.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open daily between March and December, weekends only in January and February.
Features
  • Motte
  • Description: A motte and bailey in the parkland, reached by winding paths.
  • Ornamental Canal
  • Description: The ornamental canal is the centrepiece of the walled garden and is flanked by avenues of lime trees.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Water Feature
  • Description: The so called 'cup and saucer' feature was designed by William Emes.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Espalier
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open daily between March and December, weekends only in January and February.

Directions

For directions, see www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-erddig/w-erddig-gettingthere.htm
Associated People

Just one person associated to Erddig

Contact

Telephone

01483 211465

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • The National Trust

    Heelis, Kemble Drives, Swindon, SN2
References

References