Fairthorne Manor (also known as Fairthorn House, Fairthorn)3835

Botley, England, Hampshire, Winchester

Brief Description

Most of the gardens at Fairthorne Manor were designed throughout the late-19th-century. The gardens and parkland have been designed and maintained with great care. Some of the many features of Fairthorne Manor's gardens are the fishpond, walled gardens, orchards and greenhouses.

History

Fairthorne has had a varied history. There is an early Roman and Saxon settlement. It was part of a larger estate until the 18th century. There was a farm and woodland when William Cobbett purchased the estate in 1805. The mid-late Victorian house and landscaped park was developed over the next 90 years, and the site was a map centre during World War 2. The house and grounds are now used as a training centre for young people.

Detailed Description

The basic structure of the estate is still in place, although only a few standards of Cobbett's trees remain. The walls of the walled garden have been reduced from 15 feet to a more manageable height for safety reasons. A heating system was found during this work. A small pet farm has been in the walled garden for some time but in 2008 plans for a building have been submitted. There are still fruit trees in the orchard.

The old farm buildings, some of which probably date from Cobbett's time, are used for various activities. The sunken rose garden by the house has a tuck shop and seating. A campfire area has been constructed in the gravel pit, which has been tiered and can seat 1000 children. Recently, when digging out another pond, more Roman remains were found.

Heald and Pembroke houses have been built to provide accommodation to the north and north-east of the manor house. A large boathouse has replaced the old one. From 1972, a golf course and clubhouse to the north-east has been rented out to a local group. The river feeding the fishpond to the east was dammed in 1970, and is now used for canoeing and swimming. The rest of the grounds are used for various outdoor pursuits. In addition to the planned building in the walled garden other changes in the grounds are likely.

Features
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lake
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Embankment
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Fishpond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: The walls of the walled garden have been reduced from 15 feet to a more manageable height for safety reasons. A heating system was found during this work. A small pet farm has been in the walled garden for some time but in 2008 plans for a building have been submitted.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Description: There are still fruit trees in the orchard.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Greenhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Boat House
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: In 1854 Clement Milward QC, Treasurer to the Middle Temple, built the Victorian house to the west of Fairthorn farmhouse, on a raised embankment, with a view to the River Hamble in the south-west.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Rose Garden
  • Description: The sunken rose garden by the house has a tuck shop and seating.
  • River
  • Description: The river feeding the fishpond to the east was dammed in 1970, and is now used for canoeing and swimming.
Access & Directions

Directions

By Car From Southampton direction Fairthorne Manor is just 10 minutes off the M27. Come off the motorway at Junction 7 and follow the signs for Hedge End and Botley. Go straight through Botley village square, and follow the road ahead for about 200 metres. Take the next turning on the right - this is the A3051 to Titchfield, and is also signposted for YMCA. Go past the Pinkmead Farm Shop, and about 150 metres further on, take the second driveway on the right. From Portsmouth direction Come off the motorway at Junction 9 and take the A27 towards Segensworth. At the next roundabout turn right following the A27 towards Bursledon for 1/2 a mile. At Park Gate turn right on to the A3051 to Botley, which is signposted for YMCA. Continue for 2 miles passing through the villages of Swanwick, Burridge and Curbridge. After the Horse & Jockey pub on the left continue for 3/4 of a mile. Just as the road dips down, the turning for the YMCA is on the left. By Train Fairthorne Manor is about half a mile from Botley station. Coming out of the station, turn right following the main road towards Botley, and then take the first left onto the A3051 to Titchfield, which is also signposted for YMCA. Go past the Pinkmead Farm Shop, and about 150 metres further on, take the first driveway on the right.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Curdridge
History

Detailed History

Roman and Saxon remains have been found on the site of Fairthorne. It was part of a larger estate before the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, and until the middle of the 18th century. Between 1805 and 1806, William Cobbett purchased Fairthorn farm and estate and leased it to John Mears. Cobbett planted many trees, and stocked the land with game for shooting and hare coursing.

In 1854 Clement Milward QC, Treasurer to the Middle Temple, built the Victorian house to the west of Fairthorn farmhouse, on a raised embankment, with a view to the River Hamble in the south-west. The 1870s edition Ordnance Survey map shows walled gardens, orchards and greenhouses near the house; woodland to the north and east; a fishpond further east on a small tributary feeding into the Hamble river, which was screened from the house by trees. There was an open lawn immediately to the south with isolated trees planted and a gravel pit. There was also a boathouse and quay by the banks of the River Hamble.

By the end of the 19th century, the owners, the Burrells, had planted a belt of trees and a walk above the flood plain, and a magnificent horse chestnut avenue along the rear drive. Sir Charles Barrington, in the 1920s and 1930s, planted more varieties of trees. In 1940, the army moved in, while the Barringtons were still in residence. They died in 1943. The house was used as a map centre for the invasion of Normandy. After the war, the estate was bought, stripped of its timber, and sold soon afterwards to the National Council of the YMCA. It has since become known as Fairthorne Manor.

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
References

Contributors

  • Hampshire Gardens Trust

  • Helen Burroughs

    1