Havering Village Green was acquired as public open space by Romford UDC in 1935 and is largely grass, overlooked by the parish church of St John the Evangelist. A row of horse chestnut trees was planted during Coronation Year 1953 and a seat installed near the west side as a further commemoration. The Green has been used for all manner of village activities over many years.
Havering Atte Bower was once the location of the Royal Palace of Havering used by the monarchy from pre-Norman Conquest until 1620. The late C17th/early C18th double stocks and whipping post used to stand in the south-east corner of the green, and were restored in 1966, having part of the original ironwork. The ducking pool used to be across North Road, a hollow in the ground indicating where it was.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Romford then bus. Bus: 375, 575
London Parks and Gardens Trust