Recently re-landscaped, a wide tarmac path runs through the site, flanked by fine plane trees, with floral displays and a flag pole and War Memorial installed in 2006.
Islington Green is a triangular site that was the former village green and at one time housed the village cage or prison and stocks. Originally unenclosed, in 1777 the green was given to the parish by the Lord of the Manor, and in 1781 railings were erected around it. It was used as a meeting place, and for hustings and polling booths after the 1832 Reform Act. The statue of Sir Hugh Myddelton was installed to the south in 1862 and in 1865 it was laid out as a public garden. The site was acquired by Islington Borough Council in 1897.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Description: Statue to Hugh Myddelton.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Angel (Northern). Rail/London Overground/Tube (Victoria): Highbury and Islington. Bus: 4, 19, 30, 38, 56, 341, 476
- Mid 19th Century