Lawns Park (also known as Lawns Recreation Ground)7890

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The park has good views due to its hilly site.

History

Lawns Park is on land that was once part of Collier Row Common that was enclosed in 1814. A post mill stood here from around 1810 until the 1860s; between 1846-55 it was owned by William Blakeley, who is thought to have built Lawn House from which the park takes its name, which was situated just north of the park. Collier Row, a village until the 1920s, then began to be developed. In 1931 this site was acquired by Hornchurch UDC for public recreation but it was not laid out until 1956/7. Various recreational facilities were provided.

Visitor Facilities

The park is open from 7.30am - half hour after sunset.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The park is open from 7.30am - half hour after sunset.

Directions

Rail: Romford then bus. Bus: 175, 499
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust