Little Dorrit Playground 7899

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Improvement works were carried out in 2001 by Little Dorrit Park Group, set up by group of local mothers including artist Danuta Solowig Wedderburn who created bronze plaques. Works included playground improvements and landscaping and the park is supported by Bankside Open Spaces Trust (BOST).

History

So-called after Little Dorrit, the Dickens character who was associated with nearby Marshalsea Prison, the site had previously been Falcon Court, 'a horrible rookery of tumble-down dirty hovels'. It was created as a children's playground by the LCC's Parks and Open Spaces Committee, and was opened in 1902 by the LCC Councillor for Rotherhithe, Mr A Pomeroy-Cragg, at a ceremony accompanied by music from the North London Prize Band.

Visitor Facilities

The park is open from 7.30am - sunset.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The park is open from 7.30am - sunset.

Directions

Tube: Borough (Northern). Bus: 21, 35, 40, 343.
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust