Llangoed Hall (also known as Llangoed Castle)2115

Boughrood, Wales

Brief Description

Llangoed Hall was the first major architectural commission in the career of Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, worked around the core of an early-17th-century house. The structure of Williams-Ellis's garden also survives intact and includes paved terraces, a sunken lawn and a maze. The design for the garden and grounds incorporated existing 19th-century features such as tree planting and a ha-ha. Llangoed Hall has been a hotel since about 1990.

History

The original house was built by the Williams family of Old Gwernyfed in the early-17th century. They moved into Llangoed Hall as their principal residence in the late-18th century. A London hatter, Sir Archibald Christy, bought the diminished estate in 1860 and commissioned Williams-Ellis in the early-20th century. The property, in a state of decline, was bought by a hotel group in 1987 and opened as Llangoed Hall Hotel in 1990.

Features
  • Terrace
  • Description: Paved terraces.
  • Lawn
  • Description: Sunken lawn.
Maze, Ha-ha
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bronllys
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
Associated People
Contact
References

References