The original formal layout of the gardens was replaced by serpentine paths after the site, together with Market Road Playground, was acquired by Islington Borough Council in 1905. The garden was re-landscaped around 1990 but retains many of the C19th London plane trees.
Market Road Gardens were laid out c.1865 over the Great Northern Railway tunnel, constructed in the 1850s to take the railway to its London terminus at King's Cross. The road's name refers to the Metropolitan Cattle Market, which was built on Copenhagen Fields in 1852.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Caledonian Road & Barnsbury. Tube: Caledonian Road (Piccadilly). Bus: 17, 91, 259, 274, 390
- Mid 19th Century