Monkton Old Hall and Vicarage 2314

Pembroke, Wales

Brief Description

Monkton Old Hall and Vicarage has a compartmented and terraced garden in a fine position overlooking Pembroke Castle. The garden is associated with the medieval priory and parts probably date from this period, making them a rare example of a walled medieval garden.The terraces probably date from the mid-19th century. The property was purchased in 1933 by Miss Muriel Thomson, gardening correspondent of the Everywoman magazine. After her death it was passed to the Landmark Trust.

History

The gardens originally date from the 14th century, with significant changes in the mid-19th century.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is built in the style of a north French semi-fortified building. It was possibly a guest house for the adjacent Priory of St. Nicholas.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Wall
  • Description: Substantial stone revetment wall on the south side of the garden.
  • Wall
  • Description: The garden is divided into small walled compartments. The walls are built of mortared rubble stone.
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: There are several garden terraces, including a main terrace with a series of three terraces below it.
  • Orchard
  • Description: Old orchard, with a few fruit trees remaining.
Steps
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Pembroke
History

Period

  • Medieval
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

  • Landmark Trust

    Shottesbrooke, Maidenhead, SL6 3SW
References

References