The Prince Consort Gardens is a municipal park created in the 1860s.
The gardens were planted in the 1860s and named in memory of Prince Albert.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a municipal park for general public use.
Prince Consort Gardens consists of a roughly triangular garden on the sea front overlooking Birnbeck Island and pier. The Garden divides into two areas, one being the upper level plateau abutting Upper Kewstoke Road and on the western side is the cliff face, which abutts Birkett Road. The garden is laid to lawn with tarmac paths. A flower bed surrounds it and in the centre is a circular pond with a fountain. To the south of this area is a rockery and hedge behind which is a larger pond. This pond is now concrete-lined and used in the summer by children paddling or sailing toy boats.
Prince Consort Gardens are well-maintained by the volunteer Friends of Prince Consort Gardens group.
- Description: The upper plateau is mainly laid to lawn having a border with Upper Kewstoke Road containing large phormiums.
- Description: There is a natural cliff face which borders Birkett Road containing a lower esplanade which was laid in 1882 and includes a Victorian shelter.
- Description: This pond at the southern end, is used in the summer by children paddling or sailing toy boats.
- Description: In the centre of the upper plateau is a circular pond containing goldfish and with a water feature.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a municipal park for general public use.
The area was originally a fairly bare windswept hillside known as 'Flagstaff Hill'. In the 1860s the area was upgraded. The gardens were planted and named in memory of Prince Albert. The Birnbeck Pier was opened in 1867. A picture of Prince Consort Promenade in 1864 shows the pond, fountain and flower beds when they were fairly new.
The lower triangle (now a car park) contained the Flagstaff, a fountain and tennis lawn. The evergreen trees and shrubs provided a screen from the strong westerly sea winds (see the Ordnance Survey map of the area, 1886).
Prince Consort Gardens were handed over for the free use of the public in 1883 by Mr. Cecil Hugh Smyth-Pigott.
- Mid 19th Century
Avon Gardens Trust
Friends of Prince Consort Gardens