Facilities at Rotary Field include a children’s playground and a skate ramp.
Rotary Field was given to the people of Purley by the Purley Rotary Club in 1925. In the first half of the 19th century the ground was part of the route of the 'World's First Railway Line', the Surrey Iron Railway laid down in 1803. It operated in much the same way as the canals, with people paying tolls to take their own horse-drawn wagons along the iron rails. The line was abandoned in 1846 but parts of the trackbed and section of track can be seen in the park. A drinking fountain commemorating Queen Victoria was erected in 1901, later re-sited to the library gardens by Banstead Road.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust