A number of tombs remain in the gardens, and among people buried here were those with associations with shipping. A playground with covered slide was provided in 1921 for the children of Bermondsey.
St James' s Church was built in 1827-9, the most costly of the churches built after the Commission for New Churches was set up in 1818 following the Napoleonic Wars. Its churchyard was closed for burials in 1855 and used for communal clothes drying until it was converted into a public garden by the MPGA and opened in 1886.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Bermondsey (Jubilee). Bus: 47, 188, 381.
London Parks and Gardens Trust