The churchyard entrance has a 19th-century lych gate, from where a path leads to the church. Among fine 18th- and 19th-century monuments are those of John T North of Avery Hill, the family vault of Sir William James, and of the Blenkiron family. One of the first Australian aborigines to visit Europe was also buried here in 1794.
The village of Eltham existed by the 11th century, with a church from at least the 12th century. The burial ground is likely to be of the same date. The present church of St John the Baptist was consecrated in 1875 and contains the remains of a sarcophagus from the 12th-century church. Eltham grew and became a suburb when the railways arrived and the area was developed.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Eltham. Bus: 321, B16, 124, 160, 161, 286, 126, 132, 233, 314
- 12th Century
Church of England
London Parks and Gardens Trust