Clyne Gardens 867

Swansea, Wales

Brief Description

Clyne Gardens were originally laid out in association with Clyne Castle, now a private residential development. The park contains a significant assemblage of choice and rare mature trees and shrubs, in particular rhododendrons, some of which are original introductions.

History

The earliest house on the site was built in 1791. The park was developed from 1860 to 1912. From the 1950s, the house was used as a hall of residence by the University of Swansea.

Visitor Facilities

The gardens are open throughout the year.

Detailed Description

The park, developed between 1860 and 1912, contains choice and rare mature trees and shrubs, in particular rhododendrons, some of which are original introductions.

The park remains more or less intact, although slightly encroached on by university buildings. The wilder Clyne valley, to the north, retains most of its historic layout and some ornamental planting. It is of particular interest for its industrial remains and plantings of choice rhododendrons.

Features
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is of local sandstone, and was considerably re-modelled in the 19th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tower
  • Description: Tower with a battlemented viewing platform.
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Joy Cottage, a playhouse built in the early-20th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: Italian bridge.
  • Pavilion
  • Description: Rectangular pavilion.
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Pool, Ha-ha
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The gardens are open throughout the year.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Mumbles
History

Detailed History

Clyne Castle, overlooking Swansea Bay, was for many years owned by the extremely wealthy and locally prominent Vivian family. From the 1950s, the castle was used as a hall of residence by the University of Swansea. In 2004, the castle was sold to private developers and converted into luxury flats. The grounds are now a public park.

Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Other websites

Owners

  • City of Swansea

References

References