Glenorchard 4470

Balmore, Scotland

Brief Description

Glenorchard has a remnant 19th-century designed landscape in part of the former estate, and golf course development elsewhere. Surviving features of the designed landscape include a double lime avenue, a collection of conifers and a parkland area with unusual specimen trees.

History

During the 18th century the house was set in a small landscape of rectilinear fields. The parkland layout with enclosing tree belts, curving drives, a walled garden and estate buildings was in place by the mid-19th century. The Balmore Golf Club was opened in the western part of the estate in 1907 and the house was demolished in the mid-20th century.

Detailed Description

Glenorchard has one of the best conifer collections in the district, planted largely during the 19th century in a belt along the south drive to the former house. Specimens include giant sequoia, Douglas Fir, monkey puzzle and blue Serbian spruce. The area of parkland to the east of the former house site contains uncommon mature specimen trees such as yellow-leaved sycamore, copper beech and chestnut. Many of the unusual ornamental trees were planted by the father of the last owners of the estate (the last Bartholomew died in 1957). There has been sensitive planting on the golf course since its opening in the early-20th century, largely retaining the parkland character. There are only ground-level remains of the old walled garden with an overgrown beech hedge along one side of it. A mature double-row lime avenue runs south from the house.

Features
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Double lime avenue south of the former house site.
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Specimens include giant sequoia, Douglas Fir, monkey puzzle and blue Serbian spruce.
History

Detailed History

Little is known about the early history of the Glenorchard estate. The Gray family were the proprietors in 1841 and the Bartholomews owned the estate from the 1870s until 1957.
References

References