Hangingshaw 1610

Selkirk, Scotland

Brief Description

The gardens at Hangingshaw are known for their terraces, which are thought to date from the 16th century. The estate is now broken up and includes parkland, remnants of a woodland garden and specimen trees, all from a 19th-century layout.

History

The ancient terraces at Hangingshaw are probably associated with a prosperous period for the Murrays in the 16th century. The house burnt down in 1776 and the current one was built in 1846 by the Johnstones of Alva. The estate was broken up between 1980 and 1985. The house and garden remain in single ownership and are in the process of restoration.

Features
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: 1930s colonnaded summerhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Garden Terrace
History

Period

  • 16th Century
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here
References

References