In 1935 Higham Hill Recreation Ground was listed as having 9 tennis courts, a bowling green and an open-air draughts board. It has recently been remodelled and is now laid out as fenced sports pitches, bisected by a central poplar-lined pathway, the site of a spring from Essex Hall, the former house on the site.
Higham Hill Recreation Ground is on land that was originally part of Higham Hill Common, also known as Millfield and Bramleylands, which was the largest of the three commons in Walthamstow. Enclosed in 1850, together these commons had covered an area of over 83 hectares, of which around 11 hectares were retained for 'spade husbandry, recreation and gravel digging'.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 9am - half hour before sunset.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 9am - half hour before sunset.
DirectionsLondon Overground/Tube (Victoria): Blackhorse Road then bus. Bus 158, W12
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust