Highgate Wood (also known as Gravel Pit Wood)7844

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Highgate Wood is a remnant of the Great Forest of Middlesex and has evidence of prehistoric earthworks, and 1st-/2nd- century pottery kilns.

History

From at least 1227 it was part of the Bishops of London's hunting park and it went by various names over the centuries. In 1885, known as Gravel Pit Wood, it was presented to the Corporation of the City of London by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for public open space, following the successful campaign against development by Henry Reader Williams, Chairman of Hornsey Local Board, who fought to preserve 'the lungs of London' for the people. Highgate Wood opened to the public in 1886 with alterations to the landscape including tree-felling, clearing of undergrowth, provision of paths and rides, enclosure by fence and railings and a neo-Tudor style Lodge near the east entrance. In 1888 a drinking fountain was erected in the wood commemorating poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge who reputedly walked here.

Visitor Facilities

The park is open from 7.30am - dusk.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The park is open from 7.30am - dusk.

Directions

Tube: Highgate (Northern). Bus: 43, 134, 263.
References

References