Hornchurch Cemetery 7228

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The cemetery contains utilitarian monuments and a war memorial and is sparsely planted with flowering cherry and shrubs. The southern section has some mature trees, and this is where the separate burial ground for members of the armed forces is situated.

History

Hornchurch Cemetery was opened by Hornchurch Urban District Council in 1932 since when it has been enlarged several times.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open daily April to October 9am - 7pm; November to March 9am - 4pm.

Detailed Description

Hornchurch Cemetery was opened by Hornchurch UDC in 1932 and has been enlarged several times since. The northern and eastern sections abut the churchyard of Hornchuch parish church of St Andrew where the majority of funeral services took place. The cemetery contains utilitarian monuments and a war memorial, and is sparsely planted although the southern section has some mature trees. It contains a separate burial ground for members of the Armed Forces, recalling the RAF Station based at Hornchurch from 1915. Between the cemetery and churchyard is The Dell, since 1965 an electricity substation but which was previously a site popular for fairs and other recreational events including prize fights.

Sources consulted:

LB Havering Recreation and Amenities Brochure, 1970; 'Hornchurch's Heritage', LB Havering, p3

For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HVG025

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open daily April to October 9am - 7pm; November to March 9am - 4pm.

Directions

Tube: Upminster Bridge/Hornchurch (District). Bus: 248, 348, 370, 373
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust