King John's House 4897

Romsey, England, Hampshire, Test Valley

Brief Description

In 1990 the land to the rear of King John's House was purchased by Test Valley Council and work began on the gardens. The gardens have various areas of focus, one being a garden of plants dating from before 1700 and another being a late-19th-century garden.

History

King John's House was named in 1927, following extensive research into the house's history. The house has been dated to the mid-13th century and was dedicated to the townspeople of Romsey in 1969. The gardens date from the 1990s onwards.

Visitor Facilities

For opening times and conditions please consult: http://www.kingjohnshouse.org.uk/admissn.htm More information

Detailed Description

The creation of the gardens dates from 1990 when the land was compulsorily purchased by Test Valley Borough Council. Gilly Drummond, then president of Hampshire Garden Trust had a role in its creation, and the work was funded by Test Valley and other local authorities as well as English Heritage. After five years of hard work by a team of designers, fund raising, site clearing and planting by a dedicated team of volunteers, the first part of the gardens were officially opened in 1995.

It was decided not to reproduce a period garden but that the planting should be confined to introductions from before 1700. This area included a shelter near the bridge funded largely by Hampshire Gardens Trust. Since the 1990s, the gardens have been extended and now include a pentice added in 2000 which provides cover for wind and rain. The South Garden, with a Victorian flavour, was created a year later. In 2002 the entrance from Church Street was resurfaced and Medwell Court was created. This included a fountain and restored iron gates.

The gardens are maintained through the efforts of the Friends of King John's Gardens and a dedicated team of volunteers.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is thought to date from the mid-13th century. The central tie beam was analysed by dendro-chronology in 1995, when it was ascertained that it came from a tree felled in the spring of 1256.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Feature
  • Description: Pentice.
  • Fountain
  • Description: Fountain in Medwell Court.
  • Gate
  • Description: Restored iron gates in Medwell Court.
  • Planting
  • Description: Garden of planting confined to introductions from before 1700.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

For opening times and conditions please consult: http://www.kingjohnshouse.org.uk/admissn.htm
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Romsey
History

Detailed History

The title King John's House was first used in 1927. The then-owner, Miss Mabel Moody, asked a local antiquarian, Mr Walter Andrew, to study the property deeds and investigate the roof space. Crumbling plaster work was removed to reveal medieval heraldic graffiti. The building was identified as 13th-century in origin.

Records showed that King John (1196-1216) had a hunting lodge in Romsey towards the middle of his reign. His daughter Joan, who later married Alexander II of Scotland, lived there while a pupil at the nearby Romsey Abbey, then still a nunnery and a leading educational establishment for royal and aristocratic daughters. The desire to link the house with King John seemed reasonable at the time, and King John's House came into common usage.

The central tie beam was analysed by dendro-chronology in 1995, when it was ascertained that it came from a tree felled in the spring of 1256, some 40 years after King John's death. This fits into the views of other experts who have placed the house in the mid-13th-century. The roof timbers proved inadequate for their task and over the centuries two extra tie beams were added, plus a longitudinal beam with vertical supports. Edward I was in the Romsey area in 1306. Perhaps some of his supporters stopped in King John's overnight. The heraldic coats of arms could be those of Edward's nobility.

Throughout its 750 years the building has seen many changes and additions. Floor levels have been changed and doors interchanged with windows. In medieval times, those working on the ground floor could only reach the superior upper floor via an external stone staircase. The present fireplaces on both floors were added after 1539. The building was originally all stone-built, using similar stone to that used for Romsey Abbey around 1120-1250. The remainder is a mixture of rubble infill, and knapped flint.

The internal timber-framed partition wall, in-filled with wattle and daub, is contemporary with Tudor Cottage, the late-16th-century addition to the west. Later, Queen Anne Cottages continued the line eastwards. Together with some facing cottages the area was known as Church Court. It is believed that some 100 people lived there. Sanitation was basic and mains sewage was not introduced until the 1930s. All the cottages, except Tudor Cottage, were demolished around 1938, only the rear spine wall remaining today as a garden feature.

The upper floor was long used for accommodation, the ground floor for a multiplicity of trades, which included brewing and metal working in the 17th century. The bone floor probably dates from before 1700, as farm animals increased in size after that date. Over the years the house became run down, and at the end of the 18th century it became a workhouse. The larger windows may have been introduced to provide more light for the weavers there.

Miss Moody presented King John's House to the townspeople of Romsey in 1969. Tudor Cottage was bought for the Trust in 1979. A Trust was established to run both buildings. In 1992, Test Valley Borough Council bought the land at the rear from Miss Moody and this has been laid out to compliment the period of the properties. More recently Test Valley purchased the Victorian property at 13 Church Street, which is a heritage museum run by the Trust.

Associated People

Just one person associated to King John's House

Contact