The site has formal garden area near the ruins, some fine mature trees including an old mulberry, as well as woods and grassland.
Lesnes Abbey was founded in 1178 by Richard de Luci, and housed no more than 12 monks. It was not a wealthy living although the land eventually became valuable pasture. The Abbey was dissolved in 1525, one of the first monasteries to be dissolved by Cardinal Wolsey for Henry VIII. The only building to survive was the Abbot's lodgings, which became the manor house for the Manor of Lesnes. Following 20th-century excavations the Abbey has been partially rebuilt; the grounds and woods were acquired by the LCC in 1930 for a public park.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Abbey Wood then bus. Bus: 00, 229, B11, 602, 469
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust