To commemorate the centenary of Lloyd Park, a time capsule was buried in the lawn outside the Gallery on 28 July 2000. The park and gallery are undergoing major works in 2011/12, including restoration of historic features as well as provision of new facilities.
Lloyd Park was once known as Winns Playing Fields and was formerly part of an extensive estate. The Water House, now the William Morris Gallery, was built around 1750 and became Morris's boyhood home from 1848-56; the grounds contained a moat that still exists today. It became the home of the wealthy newspaper owner Edward Lloyd, whose family gave the house and its grounds to Walthamstow UDC for a new public park in 1898. It opened to the public on 28 July 1900, with formal gardens near the house and moat with island to the north. Between 1912-21 it was extended when around 6.5 hectares of the adjoining Aveling Park Estate were purchased, providing sports pitches, playgrounds, tennis courts and bowling greens.
Visitor FacilitiesPark:7.30am - sunset. Gallery: Tues-Sat & 1st Sun each month 10am-1pm/2-5pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsPark:7.30am - sunset. Gallery: Tues-Sat & 1st Sun each month 10am-1pm/2-5pm.
DirectionsTube: Walthamstow Central (Victoria); Rail: Walthamstow Central then bus. Bus: 34, 97, 123, 215, 275, 357
- Early 20th Century
Official WebsiteClick Here
LB Waltham Forest
London Parks and Gardens Trust