Merrixton House Farm 2275

Saundersfoot, Wales

Brief Description

The house at Merrixton House Farm was built about 1750. The gardens of that time were substantially altered in around 1880. A row of lime trees is possibly from this period. There are terraces and an unusual viewing mound within an enclosed garden adjacent to the house, as well as a parish lock-up.

History

The house was built in around 1750. The gardens were significantly altered around 1880.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: There may have been a house on the site in the 17th century. Parts of the present house date from around 1750, with additions in the 18th century and reductions in the 19th, resulting in a mixed appearance of styles.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Dovecote
  • Description: The date is approximate. The building is referred to as a dovecot or lookout, but is thought to have been a prison.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Two storey, rubble built farm complex.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Walled kitchen garden.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Series of terraces, including a small formal terrace at the front of the house.
  • Pond
  • Description: Small formal pond.
  • Artificial Mound
  • Description: The date is approximate.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Wilderness, Stream
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Amroth
History

Period

  • Mid 19th Century
Contact
References

References