The park has been restored in recent years, and has shrubberies and a number of mature trees.
Newington Gardens is on the site of Horsemonger Lane Gaol and the Surrey County Sessions House, where executions took place until the mid-19th century. After the gaol closed in 1878, the building was demolished and the site was used as a playground, although the external walls remained. A portion of the land was maintained as a public playground by Newington Vestry, laid out by the MPGA and opened by Mrs Gladstone on 5 May 1884. In 1890 the LCC took over the Sessions House and the associated property, and enlarged the recreation ground between 1892 and 1919 providing a children's gymnasium, garden with bandstand, toilets and seating.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Borough (Northern), Elephant & Castle (Northern, Bakerloo). Bus: 35, 40, 343.
Official WebsiteClick Here