Park Hill Recreation Ground (also known as Park Hill, Coombe Cliff Gardens)7974

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The gardens contain fine trees and shrubs, with an Old English Garden planted in the walled garden, and a 1930s shelter.

History

Park Hill Recreation Ground was created in two stages. Once part of the deer park of the Archbishops of Canterbury, much of the land was later used for agriculture. In the 19th century the area was gradually developed for housing and in 1867/8 the Water Tower was built to supply fresh water to the town. In 1887 Croydon Corporation purchased part of Park Hill from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for a public park, which opened in 1888. It was enlarged in 1930 when the Corporation purchased neighbouring Coombe Cliff House, built for tea merchant and collector John Horniman, where he had a conservatory for his botanical collection.

Visitor Facilities

The park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.

Directions

Rail: East Croydon; South Croydon then bus. Bus: 64. Tram route: 1, 2, 3.