Queen's Promenade, Kingston 8008

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The promenade now extends for a kilometre south to the island of Ravens Ait and widens out as it leaves Kingston.

History

Queen's Promenade was conceived by local property developer William Woods as an exclusive walk for the residents of his new villas on the Portsmouth Road along the Surrey bank of the Thames. He reached an agreement with Kingston Corporation whereby he would pay for the promenade and lease it to the people of Kingston provided that the stretch from St Raphael's Church was created at public expense. The promenade was constructed between 1852-4 and was opened 'unwittingly' by Queen Victoria in August 1856, who drove along the new Portsmouth Road accompanied by the Prince Consort and Princess Royal. In 1896 it was extended into Kingston at its northern end and a bandstand, now demolished, was constructed near the junction with Palace Road.

Visitor Facilities

Opening is unrestricted.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opening is unrestricted.

Directions

Rail: Kingston, Surbiton. Bus: 218, 471
History

Period

  • Mid 19th Century