The park is opposite Shirley Parish Church of St John. Facilities include a Bowling Green, netball and tennis courts, children’s playground and a car park.
Shirley was previously a hamlet of Croydon parish, but became a separate parish in 1846. The land for Shirley Church Recreation Ground was purchased in 1928 by the local Council in order to preserve an area of open space among the suburban housing estates that were rapidly developing in the area. The area was once wooded and some of the trees along Shirley Church Road are marked on a map of 1868. A bowling green and tennis courts were later provided.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsTram and Bus c 300m to the west
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust