The small paved area to the south of the church features a single tree, but is important in the transition from the medieval street to the modern street of Eastcheap.
There has been a church dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch on this site for some 900 years. The fourth church was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and rebuilt by Wren. St Margaret Pattens was so-called to distinguish it from other City churches dedicated to St Margaret, the name possibly originating from a benefactor, or more likely connected with 'pattens', a type of undershoe made and sold near here. Rood Lane was at one time called St Margaret Pattens, its name changing when a rood or cross was erected in the churchyard while the church was being rebuilt.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted. Church: Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.
DirectionsTube: Bank (Central, DLR, Northern, Waterloo & City) / Monument (Circle, District). Bus: 15
London Parks and Gardens Trust