Still set in rural surroundings, the medieval church of St Mary Magdalene serves North Ockendon, one of the parishes of the Chafford Hundred. The churchyard is entered through a gate, with a path flanked by a fine avenue of lime trees leading to another gate looking out onto open fields. Adjacent to the churchyard is Hall Farm on the site of the 16th-century moated North Ockendon Hall, destroyed during World War 2.
Largely flint, the building has elements of various periods from the 12th century on. The Benyon family were local benefactors and funded its 19th-century restoration and building of the parish school and reading room. Local dignitaries commemorated in the church include the Poyntz family of North Ockendon Hall and the Russell family of Stubbers. Another owner of Stubbers, well-known botanist William Coys, (d.1627) was buried near the present chancel.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Upminster/Ockendon. Tube: Upminster (District) then bus. Bus: 370
- 12th Century
Diocese of Chelmsford
London Parks and Gardens Trust