St Mary with St Edward Churchyard, Leyton (also known as Leyton Parish Church)7466

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

The church has an extensive graveyard in two sections, one surrounding the church, the other backing onto Leyton or John Smith's Almshouses. The well-known antiquarian John Strype (d.1737) was buried here, who re-edited and enlarged John Stow’s 'Survey of London'.

History

The old parish was called Low Leyton before becoming known as Leyton, which meant a farm on the River Lea. The parish church of St Mary with St Edward Church was restored in 1995 but the oldest parts of the building date from the 17th century, and one of the bells dates from around 1400.

Visitor Facilities

Opening is unrestricted.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Opening is unrestricted.

Directions

Tube: Leyton (Central) then bus. London Overground: Leyton Midland Road then bus. Bus: 58, 158.
History

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Owners

  • Church

References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust