Fine trees in the garden include a native black poplar and mature London plane trees.
Thornhill Estate was laid out by Joseph Kay, surveyor for the Thornhill family from Yorkshire. By the early C19th they owned large tracts of land, including 86 acres in Islington, largely let for dairy farming. Thornhill Square was begun in c.1847. The central gardens were railed from c.1852 and were only open to keyholders until 1946, when Captain Thornhill donated them to the public. They were opened by the Mayor of Islington in 1947, and newly laid out in 1953 as part of Coronation Year improvements.
Visitor FacilitiesThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe gardens are open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Caledonian Road & Barnsbury. Rail/Tube (Northern, Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City; Circle, Victoria, Piccadilly): King's Cross. Bus: 17, 91, 259, 274, 153
London Parks and Gardens Trust